R.B. Global Immigration Consultants Ltd.

Canadian Immigration Categories

Family Class

  1. Immediate family members can still be sponsored for admission to Canada subject to the following:
    • the new I&RPA introduces, for the first time, that common-law partners may be sponsored and define a ‘common-law partner’ to include a person who is cohabiting in a conjugal relationship with another person, having so cohabited for a period of at least one year;
    • provides that an individual in a conjugal relationship for at least one year with a person, but who is unable to cohabit with the person, due to persecution or any form of penal control, may be considered a common-law partner of that person;
    • add the words ‘and common-law partner’ where the term ‘spouse’ appears so that all provisions applicable to spouses are applicable to common-law partners;
    • exclude relationships of convenience entered into for immigration purposes;
  2. For spouses and common-law partners in Canada, the Regulations:
    • create an in-Canada landing class for sponsored spouses, common-law partners and their dependent children;
    • allow in-Canada spouses and common-law partners to work while their application is in process; and
    • CIC has launched a 1 year pilot program for Sponsored Spouse IN CANADA applications effective since December 22, 2014. Under this program all spouses that apply for sponsorship through the IN CANADA stream can also apply for a 2 year open work permit at the same time. CIC expects the work permits to be issued within 4 months of receiving the sponsorship application.
    • define the requirements to be met by spouses and common-law partners in Canada.

Express Entry

As of January 1st, 2015 CIC has launched a new program called Express Entry. The program includes Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trade and Canadian Experience Class.

  • The new program now requires that all skilled immigrants must have a valid English language proficiency test done through IELTS (General) or CELPIP.
  • All skilled workers must also have their Education Credential Assessment (ECA) done by a designated organization if they have done their schooling overseas.
  • Some skilled trades may also require a Certificate of Qualifications. To get this you must contact the regulatory body of your trade in the province that you intend to work in.

Canada Experience Class (CEC)

You need to meet these requirements to apply under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec
  • have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
  • have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization
  • meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).

Skilled work experience

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

You must have at least 12 months of full-time, or an equal amount in part-time, skilled work experience. Full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week.

To find out which group your job falls under, see the list of jobs and their NOC groups. Follow the steps to find the NOC group that matches your job.

If the details and list of main duties for a job under NOC skill types 0, A or B match what you did while you worked in Canada, your job is likely in that group. If it does not, look at the list to see if another job matches your experience.

Principal applicant

If you are married or live with a common-law partner in Canada, and that person also meets the above conditions, you can decide which one of you will apply under the CEC as a principal applicant.

A common-law partner is a person who has lived with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. Common-law partner refers to both opposite-sex and same-sex couples.


You must meet the minimum language requirements for your job. You must also include the results of a language test (from an agency designated by CIC) that shows you meet them when you apply.

Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply.


Some people are inadmissible—they are not allowed to come to Canada. Many things can make you inadmissible, such as being involved in criminal activity, in human rights violations or in organized crime.

You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.